Vitiligo is a skin disorder or an autoimmune disease that becomes a cause of skin lightening through depigmentation. It is commonly affecting 1 out of every 100 people. The symptom of the disease is the appearance of white spots or patches on skin. It can affect all people of different races and ages equally.
The human body is made up of small building blocks, called cells. Our body contains special cells, known as melanocytes. These melanocytes cells produce melanin cells that further produce pigments cells (yellow, black, brown or dark brown cells that determines skin coloring). If due to any disorder, melanocytes cells fail to produce pigmentary cells in body, the skin shows depigmentation symptoms and white spots or patches are appearing on skin. These vitiligo white patches are more noticeable in darker or colored skin people, instead of whitish.
On a survey, it is theorize that Seventy percent of the population has the deviation that works to increases the possibility of vitiligo. There are diversified views about the association between vitiligo and most aggressive form of skin cancer, known as melanoma. Many people said that due to the absence of melanin cells, there is possibility that patient can indulge in the skin cancer disease, but many scientists have found that people with vitiligo have no chance of being found in skin cancer.
Different theories says that a skin, lacking pigmentary cells shows pale skin patches can be affected from sun / UV rays, thus having an increase risk of skin cancer.
Recently the study conducted in university of London hypothesize two statements
People who associated with the skin diseases, including vitiligo may have natural protection or lower of skin cancer, but lower doesn’t mean zero.
Being study with 4,300 people, a common gene mutation is identified that can increase the chance of vitiligo with skin cancer. It is said that the major reason of this chance is the sun rays. When skin loss his pigmentary cells then the sun rays affects the skin and patient can indulge in skin cancer disease.
According to the findings, reported in the New England Journal of Medicine, out of 4,327, 1,514 patients in genetic testing found in vitiligo, and 2,813 are without vitiligo. 70 % of population had the circumstances, which increases the vitiligo risk due to the loss of malignant melanoma, which is known as the most serious form of skin cancer. While the remaining 30 % increase the malignant melanoma risk and decrease the vitiligo chances. Thus on a final note, everyone has one of the two variants, but it is not sure that variants either develops the chances of vitiligo or melanoma.
The genes that can enhance skin cancer chances along with vitiligo also associated with auto immune system or some other disorders like diabetes, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. The disease is incurable, but many treatments are formulated, and medical science re-searched to improve the treatments to get recovery from the vitiligo. In case of vitiligo with skin cancer, numbers of topical steroids creams, lotions are available in market that protect a skin from ultraviolet rays.